Let’s be honest in today’s world positive communication is lacking. When we state our personal opinion we are opening ourselves up for an attack on our character. We seem to struggle to communicate effectively on and offline with other people with differing opinions. The thought process seems to be if you don’t agree with me you are the enemy. That’s simply not true.
Communication is a key factor to the success or failure of our relationships. Poor communication can cause relationships to fall apart. Many of the people we are in relationships with, from friends to clients to spouses to co workers, have different opinions than us. That’s ok and healthy even. How we handle those differing opinions is crucial.
5 important aspects of positive communication
1) Speak your opinion without bashing someone’s character. Ex: I think we need nationwide gun laws VS anyone who isn’t for nationwide gun laws are psychopaths.
2) Be willing to listen to someone else to actually hear them instead listening to trying to come up with a response.
3) Have an open mind. There’s no way to communicate with someone else if we aren’t open to hearing a differing opinion.
4) Allow the other person an opportunity to speak. Communication is a two way street.
5) Don’t feed into the negativity. If someone else isn’t willing to have an open conversation walk away or change the subject.
Diversity is the spice of life. The world would be so boring if we all just agreed and went along with the status quo. That’s where groupthink starts. Nothing is accomplished with groupthink because there is no one to challenge the group. Diversity breeds innovation and creativity. It allows us to learn and grow.
Positive communication doesn’t have to be complex but it does take two people. We can only control our end of the conversation, we cannot control others. When someone challenges our opinions is makes us uncomfortable. Our first inclination might be to get defensive but in order to truly communicate we have to listen. Listening does not equal agreeing or even changing our opinion but being open minded to differing opinions.
The world needs more positive communication in it. The internet has given us this platform to sometimes say things we wouldn’t dare to say in person. We can’t assume to know someone’s intention without having a conversation with them. Let’s go forth with an open mind and a listening ear.
Remember you are brave, you are strong, you are beautiful, and YOU ARE ENOUGH!!!