Let’s be honest parenting is tough. There are so many times I’ve been driving in my car by myself and thought I wonder how far I could get until they realize I’m gone. I know it sounds terrible but whoa it’s a lot of work to be a mom. There is no book that says “This is what every parent needs to do”. That’s because there is no one perfect way to parent but there is a lot of shitty ways to.
I’ve been a mom for over 15 years now. There are so many things I have learned along the way. I also know there are so many more things I need to learn. It is my belief that we are never done learning. Every child, year, and situation will teach us new and fascinating things. My kids are like little experiments… I always wonder what will happen next.
5 things every parent needs to do
1) Listen to your kids. It’s so easy with technology to only half listen or not listen at all but listening is where we pick up on all the things that might be going on.
2) Teach your kids. Kids learn not by what we say but what we do. If you want kind, empathetic, open minded kids you have to show them that.
3) Set boundaries with your kids. Just because they are your kids does not mean they own you and your space.
4) Allow your kids to make up their own mind. Whether it’s hug Uncle Fred or play the Oboe kids need to learn to trust their own intuition.
5) Accept your children for who they are. Whether that’s gay, straight, bi, cis gender, trans gender, non gender, gender queer, creative, sporty, nerdy, techy, etc… Just love them for who they are.
We all are just doing the best we can with what we have available. If you don’t think you are then it’s time to up your game. It’s our jobs as parents to raise our kids to be good human being not little assholes. It’s not our jobs to tell them who they are or need to be. As a kid expectations of me were a tad high and I lost myself trying to meet them. I don’t want that for my kids. I want them to discover their own little personalities and interests.
It’s important that we as parents take the best care of ourselves so we can show up 100% for our kids. It’s also important we teach our kids to care for themselves so when they are older they don’t struggle with self care or boundaries. We are their life teachers and if we want them to be awesome humans we have to be awesome humans. The most personal growth I’ve done has been since becoming a mom. No one expects you to be perfect but do the very best you can.
Remember YOU ARE BRAVE, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL, YOU ARE WORTHY, & YOU ARE ENOUGH!!!
Join Megan Hall's Newsletter List
Subscribe and get weekly inspiration right into your inbox