If you’ve been in the personal development world for any length of time at all you might have heard about finding your why. Every one has a why or the reason behind everything they do. The stronger your why the stronger the motivation for achieving your goals will be. Your why is really the fuel for your fire.
Sometimes we feel stumped when trying to discover our why. Our why might even come out without any oomph. We wonder where that passion everyone is talking is. We might scream to ourselves “I don’t know why?!?!” out of pure frustration. The problem is when we don’t have a solid why it can be really easy to give up on our goals and dreams.
finding your why:
1) Play the why game. Ask yourself why and when you answer ask yourself why for that answer. Keep doing this until you cannot answer the question anymore.
2) Find a quiet place to journal. Just keep writing about this goal/dream until you have uncovered that deep why.
3) Talk it out with someone. This might be your coach or your business bestie or someone else but someone who can ask you the right questions.
4) Ask yourself if this is really something you want to do. If you are struggling to find a why then it may be because this isn’t what you really want.
5) Revisit it. If you truly want this thing but are struggling to find that “why that makes you cry” then write down what answer you do have and revisit it later.
There can be a lot of pressure to discover your why. Give yourself grace. Your why is a tool to help you stay motivated and connect with others. It is not a life or death sort of thing. It’s absolutely ok to say this is not my goal/dream or to say I just don’t know my why right now. Don’t let it be the thing that prevents you from moving forward.
Your why might also mold and change with time. Sometimes moms with young kids are motivated by being the best mom for their kids. When their kids grow up their why is likely to change. Change is not scary and is perfectly acceptable. Allow you why to grow with you and continue to reveal new layers of it to yourself and others.
Remember YOU ARE BRAVE, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL, YOU ARE AMAZING, & YOU ARE ENOUGH!!!
Join Megan Hall's Newsletter List
Subscribe and get weekly inspiration right into your inbox