It’s A Bad Day Not A Bad Week

Ever have something bad happen and then your whole week is ruined? I definitely have. Something that maybe took up 5% of our week ruins the other 95%. That doesn’t make any sense. It’s OK to have a bad day or a series of bad days (a bad week) but marinating in it and allowing those days to bleed over into following days is such a poor use of our time and energy.

How can we possibly prevent bad moments from becoming bad days then becoming bad months? By taking back control over our thoughts, actions, words, and reactions. We can’t control what happens to us but we can control how we react. Bad moments can bleed over into the rest of the day and week even the month and year when we allow it to take control.

What can we do to prevent ourselves from marinating in our bad days?

1. Embrace Our Feelings. Instead of pushing down or packing away our sadness, anger, and frustration we need to feel our feels. Acting like that bad moment happened doesn’t do us any good.

2. Ask Ourselves “What Can I Do About This?”.  The answer might be nothing or there might be something. If there is nothing we can do then we are responsible for our reactions and need take ownership of our feelings. If there is something we can do about it we need to take the steps to get that done.

3. Look For The Lesson.  What can we learn from this situation? What can we do to prevent it from happening again? There is always a lesson.

4. Find Evidence Of The Opposite. Our brains are trained to find evidence that we are right. So if we are thinking this is a bad day/week/month/year then our brains will look for evidence that is true. We have to consciously look for evidence that good things have happened.

5. Start New Tomorrow. Don’t wait for next week, next month, or next year but start with a clean slate tomorrow. What happened today no longer exists tomorrow. It happened today. Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.

We all have things that happen in our lives that are not so fantastic. We will experience adversity or even a bit of bad luck on occasion. Remember our brains will look for evidence that we are right.  If we are focusing on the negative it will find more negativity to back up our claim.

Being mindful of what we are thinking, feeling, doing, and saying will prevent us from marinating is adversity. We have to take responsibility for ourselves. It’s an absolute shame when intelligent, capable women get stuck in adversity. It’s not easy to overcome but it’s well worth it.





Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *