A key piece to Self Care is nutrition. What are you putting in your body? Food can be our medicine, Food can help our bodies function properly, and food can be REALLY yummy. It’s a common misconception that healthy food is not yummy. Trust me when I say it is totally not true.
We can get so confused and blinded by all the buzzwords going around now. Everything from Organic, Gluten Free, All Natural, GMO Free, Vegan, Heart Healthy,Paleo, etc… The problem is they still make junk food that can be all of those things. I’ve seen organic and gluten free Toaster Pastries. Let’s face it food companies want to increase their bottom line so they are going to use certain words and phrases to get you to purchase from them.
Good News! The Five Tips below will help you make healthier decisions when shopping for your body’s fuel.
- Read the labels. If you can’t pronounce it or don’t know what it is then it probably does not belong in your body.
- Avoid Artificial. Real food is so much better for you. Stay away from artificial colors, sugars, flavors, etc….
- Be Weary of Free. Fat Free, Sugar Free, Gluten Free, etc… often means chemicals are used in place of the missing ingredient.
- Less is More. The fewer ingredients the better. Food that is one ingredient like Apples, Carrots, Eggs, Etc… are often the best to stick with. Try staying to less than five ingredients when shopping for food with a label.
- Minimize Added Ingredients. Many foods have added sugar or salt when it’s really unnecessary. Why would dried fruit need more sugar? Try keeping the added sugar below 6gs per serving and try to keep the sodium below 110 mgs per serving.
Remember what goes into your body helps create the cells in your body. Would you rather have cells made up of Apples or Twinkies? Try sticking to real, whole foods majority of the time. When it comes to unhealthier options moderation is the key.
The best diet is one you will stick to so find a nutrition habit that fits you and your lifestyle. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Continue to learn so you can make the best decisions for your health.
Remember YOU ARE ENOUGH!!!
Want more information on clean eating?