Whether you call it your moral compass or your guiding principles deciding to set some standards in your life is important. Not setting standards allows us to get caught up in some really not so awesome things. Like the time I was arrested for saying my car was stolen when it wasn’t. I still have a nice misdemeanor following me around from that one.
Setting standards for your personal and professional life is saying these are my expectations for myself and the world. Could our standards be too high? According to some people yes. I personally feel if we are able to live up to them and they aren’t impacting our lives in a negative manner then no. Everyone has to have standards.
How to set some standards
1) Identify what’s most important to you in different aspect of your life. Just keep in mind life is not perfect so expecting it to be might cause a lot of pain and heartache.
2) Ask yourself what is lowest your standards will go. Like when you were dating would you be ok with someone who didn’t look like Ryan Gosling as long as they had a good heart?
3) Live up to your own standards. You cannot expect someone else to do something you aren’t willing to do yourself.
4) Reevaluate regularly. When an area of your life isn’t going as planned you might have to reevaluate your standards.
5) Remember it’s ok to have different standards than other people. That doesn’t make you any better or worse than them, just different.
Life is messy. There were times when my standards were quite low and there were times when they have been too high. My standards for dating college were high in some aspects but way too low in other aspects. I was focusing on the wrong things at that time. After being married to my husband my dating standards would probably be really high. lol
This isn’t a perfect system. Know that it’s ok to pivot or change. Over time we see aspects of life we didn’t before. That awareness might make us increase or decrease our standards. Just because you have certain standards doesn’t mean those around you will as well. Don’t let that influence you to change. Your standards are YOURS not anyone else’s. Just keep checking in with yourself and allow those standards to guide you in life.
Remember as always YOU ARE ENOUGH!!!!
PS Don’t forget to join us in The Inspired Women Community.