Relationships can be tough. We are interacting with other imperfect humans who have their own thoughts, feelings, opinions and perceptions. So often the things that will help any relationship are the most are overlooked. We focus on trying to change the person instead of controlling our words and actions.
None of the things I am going to mention in this article are about changing the other person because that is something we cannot do. People have to decide to change on their own. It is however important we treat the people in our lives with respect, empathy, and kindness. Sometimes they are going through something we cannot understand.
Top 3 things that will help any relationship
1) Open and Honest Communication.
- Do this when you have calmed down.
- Express how you are feeling without bashing the other person. I feel _______ because of ______.
- Be willing to listen openly to what they have to say.
2) Giving as much, if not more, than you take.
- It’s not always 50/50 but you should not always be taking more than you give.
3) Set and Respect Boundaries.
- Boundaries involve protecting our physical, mental, and emotional space/energy.
- Just because someone is a part of your life does not mean they should be able to do what they want with you. Vice Versa is also true.
Relationships are a two way street. We cannot expect others to do what we are unwilling to do ourselves. You will notice all the things I mentioned involve not just one person doing but both. If you are the only person putting forth an effort consistently it might be time to reevaluate your relationship. Sometimes it’s just a time in your life that this relationship is not serving you the way you need it to.
Relationships are messy. It can be painful when they end. Sometimes that ending is necessary. Other times all it would take is a little effort in the areas mentioned above to help get the relationship back on track. It’s up to you to determine if it’s worth the time and effort. Just remember you can’t control other people.
If you need more guidance on the topic of relationships check out these articles or The Inspired Women Podcast: 5 things that could be tearing your relationship apart, 5 ways to cultivate positive relationships, & What relationships are not. Remember YOU ARE BRAVE, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL, YOU ARE WORTHY & YOU ARE ENOUGH!!!