Oh that elusive thing we all call sleep. Even though it is one of the most important functions of our body it seems to be the thing that always comes in at the bottom of our priority list. Don’t get work done during the day? It’s ok I’ll just stay up later. Want to binge watch the latest Netflix show? It’s ok I’ll sleep when I’m dead.
The problem is EVERY essential function of our body requires sleep. Everything from your immune function to your metabolism to your memory and everything in between. It’s a common misconception that our mind is still during sleep. It’s actually doing so much to help ud be our best. Sleep is a crucial piece to our physical, mental, and emotional health.
5 reasons your mindful morning starts the night before
1) Sleep deprivation affects our emotional health. Lack of sleep can alter our mood significantly and not in a good way.
2) Sleep deprivation affects our memory. During sleep our entire day is processed into memories without it we struggle to create new memories.
3) Sleep deprivation affects our immune system. Trying not to get sick because of that important meeting? Better be getting some quality sleep the week before.
4) Sleep deprivation affects our productivity. We are slower at performing tasks when we don’t have enough sleep.
5) Sleep deprivation affects our mental health. Those with mental health conditions will experience this the most. Even if you have never experienced a mental health condition you might experience one after sleep deprivation.
Sleep deprivation can have serious effects on our personal and professional life. Sleep isn’t just important to some people it’s important to all people. Only 1% of the entire population needs less than 8 hours of sleep a night. It’s very unlikely that we are one of them.
I shared in the Importance of a mindful morning how important a good morning routine is. Your mindful morning starts the night before. Consider a good night’s sleep the pregame to a good morning routine. I know it can be difficult to know what will help us get enough sleep. That’s why I created the Blissful Sleep Cheat Sheet with the top ten tips of getting a blissful nights sleep.
It’s time for us to make sleep a priority. Remember YOU ARE ENOUGH!!!